- Exponent of Jaipur-Atrauli Gharana founded by late Ustad Alladiya Khan Saheb
- Early training (1955- 1960) under the tutelage of late Ustad Abdul Majid Khan Saheb (disciple of Alladiya Khan Saheb, and life-time Sarangi accompanist of Surashri Kesarbai Kerkar.)
- Advanced training, 1961-1966, and later intermittantly, 1976-2000, from Padmavibhushan Ganasaraswati Smt. Kishori Amonkar.
- Also received guidance from Late Mogubai Kurdikar, Guru and Mother of Smt. Kishori Amonkar.
- The Jaipur Gharana specializes in blending the tonal and rhythmic emphasis. Smt. Kishori Amonkar gave the Jaipur Gayaki a somewhat balanced direction, emphasizing the emotional content (Bhava or Rasa), and consequently reducing the structural content of the Jaipur Gayaki. Arunji attempts to present a balanced version of the “Bhava-dominant” style of Kishori Amonkar and the traditional structural beauty of the Jaipur Gharana.
- Arunji is now an accomplished vocalist, and has performed in many public and private concerts in India, and recently in the U.S. Some of his concert appearances are: Balkrishnabuva Sangeet Sadhana Mandal, Ichalkaranji, Deval Club Kolhapur, Abhisheki Sangeet Mahotsav, Goa, Dadar Matunga Cultural Centre, Brahman Sabha, Kalabharati (Karnatak Sangh), Bade Ghulam Ali Yadgar Sabha, Swar-Mauli, Alladiya Khan Death Anniversary Conference, Kalyan Gayan Samaj, Kshitij, The Trinity Club, Soor Mansoor Conference, Swaryatra, etc. (all in Mumbai), and Naad, Bharat Gayan Samaj, Sur-Sadhana, Swarmayee Gurukul, Sahyadri Swarmanch, Lalit Kala Kendra, Guruprasad, Confluence (all in Pune). He has also performed at several prominent venues across the USA and UK.
- Smt. Kishori Amonkar has singled out Arunji as “The only authentic contemporary male exponent of Jaipur Gayaki” (Page 61 of her biography).
- Arunji also sings with equal charm light-classical varieties such as Thumris, Bhajans, and Marathi stage songs (Natya-Sangeet).
Education and Professional Career
B.Tech. (chemical Engineering, IIT Bombay, 1966) President’s Gold Medalist
- Doctor of Science (chemical engineering, MIT, 1970)
- Managing Director and CEO of Jacobs Engineering, India 1976-2000
- Vice President of Jacobs Engineering, Pasadena, CA 2000-2009
- At present Chairman Emeritus, Jacobs Engineering India, Mumbai